Friday, July 25, 2014

Clear as Mud

Sometimes what your boss expects of you is as clear as mud. What do you do?

Usually, you roll right along doing what you think you understood or what you think your boss really wants. And guess what? You bring the finished product and after reviewing it, your boss looks at you through beady eyes and shouts, “What is wrong with you? Don’t you listen? Are you stupid or something?” (Yes, there are actually bosses out there who talk like that.)

So how do you solve this problem? Well, here’s one way. Look your boss square in the eyes with your beady eyes and say, “Don’t you ever talk to me that way again. I am not stupid. You're stupid for not giving me clear instructions in the first place. You talk to me that way again and you will truly regret it.” 

 If you don’t like that way, here is a another way. Your boss has just told you what is expected and it is clear as mud. Just before leaving the office, say to your boss, “Let me get this straight. You want me to do A, B, C. Right?” The boss answers, “No, I want you to do D, E, and F.” You say, “I will get on it right away and give you D, E, and F by next Thursday at 10:00 AM."

So what do you think? Which of these responses would you use? Do you have other suggestions?

No comments: