Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Butterfly

I have a spot in my home that is my dream spot. It’s a new glassed-in porch with lots of sunlight and a beautiful view into the back yard. Yesterday I was sitting on a comfortable chair looking out at this gorgeous plant with bright red blossoms. Out of the blue came a monarch butterfly that started flitting from one bright blossom to the next just sucking up the nectar from those beautiful blossoms. And I said to myself, “That’s just like a supervisor going from one alternative to the next trying different things to fix a problem that has not yet been identified.” Wouldn’t it be great if every supervisor could learn that the best way to fix a problem is to define it first and then it would be easy to find the one alternative solution and fix it. It should not be necessary to be like a butterfly flitting from one alternative to the next trying to fix a problem that has not been defined. What do you think? Please share your thoughts.

No comments: